As much as we hate to admit it, our phones have pretty much become appendages, and we’ve been known to go down an internet rabbit hole or two. So in the interest of sharing what we’re reading and sending articles we love to our friends, from now on, we’re posting the links we liked from the week, every weekend. Here’s this week’s roundup . . .
What your favorite celebrity scent says about you.
Bumble’s Whitney Wolfe on the business case for gender equality in the boardroom.
Learning about Tammie Jo Shults, the former fighter pilot who safely landed a commercial plane after one engine exploded mid-flight.
Meet the sixth grade teacher Jay Z credits for turning his life around.
Why one woman is saying goodbye to thank you notes.
- Molly Ringwald revisits her iconic teen movies in this post #MeToo era.
- Finally! The Amal Clooney profile we’ve been waiting for in Vogue.
- On PTA culture when you’re a working mom.
- This crazy story on how Seth Meyers’s wife gave birth in the lobby of their apartment building!
- Drake’s new video for “Nice For What” featuring Olivia Wilde, Issa Rae, Yara Shahidi, and more.
- The five questions you should ask in your next job interview.
- Meghan Markle found the perfect trench for under $250—and so can you!
- What exactly is going on in this tense clip between the two queens of Spain?
- This charming video featuring The Big Bang Theory’s Kaley Cuoco talking about a famous (but anonymous) ex-boyfriend who was a bad tipper.
- A short cartoon imagining what it would be like if men flirted like birds.
- Wondering who bit Beyoncé in the face after reading this revelatory Tiffany Haddish profile in GQ.
- Swooning over the 20th anniversary reunion cover of Dawson’s Creek.
- Laughing out loud with this video of Real Housewives’s Erika Jayne working as a temp in Vogue.
- Thinking about whether this is really the end of the social media era?
- Considering the eternal sadness of Ben Affleck—and his garish phoenix tattoo.
- This fun Vogue video featuring the best looks from the Paris collections.
- This groundbreaking Vanity Fair cover featuring writer, director, and actor Lena Waithe.
- Why millennials are ditching the birth control pill.
- Following the kids organizing the March For Our Lives.
- 14 successful women on the age they found the hardest.
- This first look of HBO’s adaptation of Elena Ferrante’s blockbuster Neapolitan novels.
- Apparently there’s something called a penis facial out there and it’s way worse than its name.
- A sex and relationship expert on why marriage after kids is so hard and how to fix it.
- Why you should avoid ordering from the kids menu.
- The truth about what happens when you donate your clothes.
Fifteen design ideas to steal from celebrity kitchens.
How tequila replaced Cosmos as the celebrity drink of choice.
Listening to these 25 songs that tell us where music is going.
This startling graphic that compares the speaking roles of women vs. men in movies that have won the Oscar for Best Motion Picture.
This is what it’s like to get pregnant when you’re 40.
- Cardi B, Paris Jackson, and some models show off the best looks from New York FashionWeek while lip syncing Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain.”
- This is what it would look like if literature’s complicated men (Holden Caulfield, Jay Gatsby, Hamlet) were on Tinder.
- How Amy Schumer cheered Jennifer Lawrence up after her breakup.
- How do you solve a problem like Manhattan?
- A writer test drives six bedtime routines of highly successful people.
It’s only been 9 days and here’s everything the Parkland student survivors have managed to achieve regarding gun control.
This epic Marco Rubio burn by a Stoneman Douglas junior.
Actor Michael Ian Black’s thoughtful essay on why America’s boys are not alright.
On what an out gay Olympian like Adam Rippon could mean to a young kid today, written by a 34-year-old who’s been waiting for it his whole life.
- On a lighter note, this is what realistic birth announcements would look like.
- 17 people, most of them students, were killed this week at a mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida. These are their names and their stories.
- How to reduce shootings in the country.
- How Japan’s gun control laws have virtually eliminated shooting deaths.
- “This Is Your Life in Guns,” an essay about the prevalence of gun violence in America.
- What Man Repeller learned after trying (and failing) to quit Instagram.
- This is why Uma Thurman is angry.
- One writer opens up about her unabashed love for Kate Middleton.
- This epic interview with Quincy Jones where he shares that one time he dated Ivanka Trump, what Michael Jackson was like behind close doors, and some very interesting information about Marlon Brando.
- Will Smith’s Instagram account. Seriously, do yourself a favor and start following it now.
This funny video in which Donatella Versace answers 73 questions about her life, her late brother Gianni, and what she most wants for women in 2018.
- An inside look at jewelry designer Lizzie Fortunato’s elegant wedding in the Berkshires.
- This heartbreaking yet illuminating piece on how to talk to someone with stage IV cancer.
- How one writer learned to love her nose after she decided to change it.
- On the life-changing magic of buying yourself a great pair of clogs.
Nine parents open up on having just one child and why that’s totally fine!
This inspiring piece on how Olympic champion and USA Gymnastics captain Aly Raisman brought down serial abuser Dr. Larry Nassar and helped the hundreds of abused young women he assaulted speak up against him. “We are here, we have our voices, and we are not going anywhere.”
One of TV’s original bad ass women is returning to TV: Murphy Brown is getting a reboot!
Ok, we’re bummed Oprah isn’t running for president, but we’re still feeling pretty hopeful after learning that a record number of women around the country are running for office in 2018. Will this finally be our year?
For those people in long-term relationships who keep getting asked “When are you getting engaged?”—this is the piece for you.
- Feeling inspired by this boss Hollywood Reporter interview with Grey’s Anatomy’s Ellen Pompeo where she opens up on getting paid what she deserved and spills all sorts of tea about what really happened behind the scenes of the show.
- Laughing with Jane Fonda, who’s keeping it real on Instagram.
- Enjoying this new column, “Interview With an Old Person,” where journalists talk to people over 80 and ask them for their best life advice.
- Thinking about this thoughtful review on the complicated new season of American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace.
- Loving how Rent the Runway founder Jennifer Hyman went out of her way to hire female vendors for her wedding in Montauk.
A simple trick to keep in mind next time you are introducing someone. Because manners are important, people!
This beautiful Vogue cover story on Serena Williams where she opens up about her newborn daughter, her difficult birthing experience, and her plans for getting back on the court.
Remember Tonya Harding? This profile of her in the Times will have you rethinking everything you ever thought you knew about her after that crazy scandal in the 90s.
We recently got a glimpse of Princess Margaret’s typical daily routine, and it’s insane. Read all about here. Now, we just want to know where we can sign up!
- The always gratifying Modern Love column looks back at some of their best entries from 2017 and came up with 10 tips for how to love better.
- We suggest you reach for some Kleenex before reading this true story on how the spouses of two memoirists who died of cancer eventually ended up falling in love with each other.
- The current climate in Hollywood means the traditional red carpet is over. Instead of asking “who you are wearing,” a writer comes up with ten other questions that should be tackled during Sunday’s Golden Globes red carpet.
- If one of your New Years resolutions was to start budgeting, we’re going to stop you right there. Instead of limiting yourself, this money column suggests a healthier, more attainable financial resolution is to make a spending plan.
- Over The Moon’s founder Alexandra Macon shares her best party tips and her favorite winter weddings for Tory Burch’s blog.
- One writer gave up shopping as a New Years Resolution in 2017. Here’s what she learned and lost along the way.
- The Ocean’s 8 trailer is finally out and it’s officially our most anticipated movie of 2018.
- It’s never too early to prepare for the aftermath of all those holiday celebrations. A nutritionist shares the best things to eat when you’re hungover.
- Cathy Horyn weighs in on Phoebe Philo’s departure from Céline, and why it signals the end of an era for the fashion world.
Cat Person, a short story in the New Yorker about a spectacularly bad first date, which had the internet abuzz.
A fascinating follow up interview with the writer of Cat Person on why she thinks her story went viral and why so many women related to it.
This portfolio from several different writers and artists on the fallout from the sexual harassment revelations, and how we can move forward.
For something a little lighter, this old clip of Patti LaBelle singing “This Christmas” with the wrong cue cards and no backup singers is pretty hilarious.
- Meghan Markle’s 2015 speech at the U.N. where she recounts how as an 11-year-old feminist she was able to effect change.
- Lindy West on this year’s word of the year: complicit.
- Elaine Musiwa’s thought-provoking Vogue.com piece on the problem with calling Meghan Markle the first black princess.
This heartbreaking personal essay from a writer whose son was born with cystic fibrosis and how things might have been different if she had known earlier her baby had a terminal disease.
This article on why people are turning away from social media and whether ten years from now we’ll look back at the social era and wonder: what the hell were we thinking?
An adorable couple of 24 years share their secret to a happy marriage—hint: it involves wine.
- If Thanksgiving weekend with your family is driving you crazy, here are seven other movies, books, and TV shows about highly dysfunctional families that will make yours look like the Brady Bunch.
- But be weary as you cycle through your eighth hour of a Netflix binge session! A new study suggests binge watching could contribute to inflammatory-related diseases and weight gain.
- You’ve probably been hearing a lot about how net neutrality is about to be repealed. If you’re not quite sure what net neutrality is and why it matters, here’s a guide to why it’s extremely important to keep it alive.
- As new editor-in-chief Radhika Jones is about to take the helm at Vanity Fair, take a look at how editrix extraordinaire Tina Brown first revamped the magazine and made it into the glossy must-have it is today.
- Our friend Grace Atwood’s down-to-earth, personal post on the struggles of singledom and the differences between dating in your 20s vs. your 30s is a good pep talk for those still searching for “the one.”
- Sick and tired of mason jars and photo booths? Find inspiration in these nine original wedding trends from around the world, which include hiking to the altar and movie-themed receptions.
- Do women have the right to feel angry about all the sexual harassment and abuse that has come to light in the past few weeks? Hell yeah, we do. Read Lindy West’s latest.
- Leandra Medine’s raw account of her struggle with infertility and subsequent announcement that she’s pregnant with twins. Mazel tov!
- Louisa de la Motte’s longsleeved lace Dolce and Gabbana dress at her wedding on Antigua.
- Our favorite women’s club is expanding. Check out the founders’ future plans in the New York Times.